Reference management systems
There is a great number of different reference management systems available. Some of them can be used free of charge and some require a license. You can read more about them e.g. in this Wikipedia article.
Laurea Library does not have a license to any commercial reference management system since ending the contract with RefWorks 31.12.2021. Library offers instructions on how to use free Zotero reference management tool.
- Zotero is free to use and based on open source code
- Zotero is available for desktop and/or browser based use
- Desktop version saves your references to your computer and you can use your references offline. Creating a Zotero account is not necessary.
- Browser based use requires creating a Zotero account. References will be saved in Zotero's cloud in USA.
- By synchronizing the desktop version to your Zotero account, your references will be saved both to your computer and in Zotero's cloud in USA.
- Zotero account is needed if you wish to share your references with other users
- Zotero integrates to word processors (MS Word, LibreOffice, Google Docs)
- There a more than 9000 reference styles available.
- If you create a Zotero account, note that your data will be saved to a server in USA where EU GDPR regulation does not apply. Avoid saving sensitive data to Zotero.
Zotero installing & account
Installing Zotero & creating an account
- Laurea staff can install Zotero desktop version to Laurea's computers from Laurea SoftWare Center.
- To a private computer Zotero can be downloaded from https://www.zotero.org/download/
- During the Zotero download an extension will normally be automatically added to your word processor. If this doesn't happen, you can download the extension later manually from Zotero homepage
- Create an account, if you want to use Zotero online. Account is also needed if you want to share references with other Zotero users.
- If you use both desktop version and browser version, synchronize them in the desktop version. Choose Edit – Preferences – Sync – Settings. Add Username and Password and choose Sync automatically.
- Optional. Zotero Connector is a useful browser extension that helps you to import references directly from webpages and library catalogues. If you like, you can download it to your browser from Zotero homepage.
Laurea-kirjasto | Saavutettavuusseloste | Laurea Library | Accessibility statement